Monday, September 22, 2008

The O.C., and California in General




















I just finished watching the first season of The O.C., and in the spirit that this blog was created in (reviewing the world), I will both praise and critique it in my next post. This post, however, needs to be devoted to the state of California.

California always was (and still is) incredibly mystical to me. It's like Disneyland and hippies and movie stars and Hollywood and East of Eden and everything sunny and wonderful and oddball all focused in one place. I think my fascination started with Francesca Lia Block's novels (go Weetzie Bat!), and it just never stopped. She made California, LA in particular, seem magical and weird and amazing. Part of this was probably due to the genre: young adult magical realism.

It's more than that, though. The Beach Boys, the numerous California-themed songs (Rufus Wainwright, Phantom Planet). Not to mention punk. And ska. And most music that I listen to. Starting with Goldfinger, No Doubt, and Reel Big Fish, and then onto Social Distortion and Green Day and NoFX and Rancid and Tiger Army. I realize these aren't necessarily great musicians, but they mean a lot to me, or at least did at one point in my life.

Like any good teenager, I was never totally satisfied with my life. And I thought California could fix it. I could be liberal, like punk, dye my hair pink, and be vegetarian without anyone harassing me. I know it's ridiculous, but California seemed like a panacea for me. Of course I realize that California is probably none of those things. I still have never been there, and most people I talk to say how it's not really that great. But I still want to go. I think everyone feels that way about at least one place. I know I have impossible expectations for The Golden State, but isn't that part of the fun?

To end, I'll leave you with Phantom Planet, and the song that always gives me chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment